tlf-devel

Re: Rig Control

From: Nick Craig-Wood
Subject: Re: Rig Control
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 08:13:38 +0100

I spent a long time mucking about with usb serial ports for work - we used to configure 32 on one machine and we had 100s of machines!

The /dev/serial/by-id/usb-Silicon_Labs_CP2102_USB_to_UART_Bridge+_Controller_IC-7300_02038316-if00-port0 approach works well but it is vulnerable to a new kernel version renaming the usb hardware (happens surprisingly often in my experience!)

The udev approach is a good one, but falls down if you have more than one of the device. Unfortunately serial ports don't have usually have IDs (eg a MAC address) to tell them apart (though the IC 7300 does appear to) so you are vulnerable to initialisation order (which isn't defined) in your USB devices. You have to add the physical path of how they are connected (which can change due to kernel or user changes).

There is also the problem that the usb serial stuff frequently gets upset plugging and unplugging stuff and renumbers the devices then.

Anyway I think the /dev/serial/by-id/usb-Silicon_Labs_CP2102_USB_to_UART_Bridge+_Controller_IC-7300_02038316-if00-port0 approach is great especially since it looks like that the IC 7300 does have a unique serial number in unlike the usb serials I was using for work.