tpop3d-devel

Re: [tpop3d-discuss] --enable-mysql-auth configure failure.

From: Chris Lightfoot
Subject: Re: [tpop3d-discuss] --enable-mysql-auth configure failure.
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 12:01:23 +0100

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 04:53:22AM -0600, Colin wrote:
> Yes, the previous result I gave you was with no flags at all.
> I couldn't find conftest.c anywhere so I'm assuming that it should be
> test.c (unless it's supposed to be another file I haven't yet created.)
>
> So I ran:
> gcc -O2  -I/usr/include/mysql -L/usr/lib/mysql test.c -lm ysqlclient
> -lpam -ldl test.c
>
> /tmp/ccYjIhWx.o: In function `main':
> /tmp/ccYjIhWx.o(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `main'
> /tmp/cc823ApF.o(.text+0x0): first defined here
> /usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.a(my_compress.o): In function `my_uncompress':
> my_compress.o(.text+0xaa): undefined reference to `uncompress'
> /usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.a(my_compress.o): In function
> `my_compress_alloc':
> my_compress.o(.text+0x13d): undefined reference to `compress'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> But that looks like conftest.c is supposed to be something else...
> (/tmp/ccYjIhWx.o(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `main')

No, that's correct. (The way configure tests for the
presence of a function, in this case mysql_init, is by
having a go at compiling a test program and seeing whether
it compiles and links correctly.)

It appears that what's happened here is that
libmysqlclient wants to use the functions compress and
uncompress, which at a guess are the ones in libz (the GNU
zip compression library). Presumably MySQL now allows
communication between client and server to be compressed
on the fly.

I hadn't encountered this before; in the interim, could
you try altering configure so that references to
-lmysqlclient become -lmysqlclient -lz, for instance by
doing

sed 's/-lmysqlclient/-lmysqlclient -lz' < configure > c2
mv c2 configure
chmod +x configure

... and then try re-running configure, and see whether it
works?

--
Chris Lightfoot -- www.ex-parrot.com/~chris/
 The meek may inherit the earth - but not its mineral rights. (Getty)