Re: Default user and host (even if only for su/sudo)?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Default user and host (even if only for su/sudo)?
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 20:42:19 +0100

Rodrigo Bernardo Pimentel <address@hidden> writes:

> However, having to type "/address@hidden" is getting old faster
> and faster :)

Yes, indeed.  Well, the most recent version of Tramp has a variable
tramp-default-method-alist which allows you to configure some
things.  By default, root is the default user for the `su' method,
for example, so /[su/localhost] should be enough.

Oh, on XEmacs the default value is nil.  Sorry.

Then the host name may be empty, so that /[su/address@hidden might work.  But
don't count on it...

And then, you can always do (setenv "X" "/address@hidden") and type
C-x C-f $X/etc/passwd RET...

I get many requests for people who want abbreviations for long
filenames, and I'm sure they have good reasons.  But I'm having
difficulty to understand where environment variables are lacking, so
I'm reluctant to spend too much time on it.  (Not that I've spent any
time on Tramp recently anyway...  But maybe soon.  We will be in a
network with a lot of laptops and no NFS...)

kai