Re: Is it possible to embed passwords in a filename?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Is it possible to embed passwords in a filename?
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 20:45:22 +0100

Kirk Strauser <address@hidden> writes:

> I routinely access a few machines with horridly difficult-to-type
> machine-generated passwords.  Arguments to the security implications aside,
> is it or could it be possible to embed passwords in a Tramp filename?

There is no builtin functionality for this.  But I can see where it
could be useful.  Hm.  One idea was to implement a general mechanism
for putting parameters into the filename, then one could also put
things like passwords there.

Or Tramp could read something like ~/.authinfo.

Okay, I will put it on the todo list.  But I'm not promising anything
:-/  I'm too busy.

In the meantime, would it work for you to use ssh to access
everything?  That could work without you having to enter a password.

kai