Re: wish: transmit diffs on save

From: Tim Connors
Subject: Re: wish: transmit diffs on save
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 10:48:46 +1100 (EST)

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> Kai Grossjohann <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > This is actually possible if you use an rsync-based method.  (But then
> > you have the connection establishment overhead.)
>
> Hmm.

Checkout my rsyncfsh connection method I posted here within the last week.

I use it currently, but don't notice any speedup.

> > Hm.  But it would be nifty if it would also work for inline methods.
> > Maybe one can do something by comparing the file with its backup.
> > Hm.  This would only work if the backup was local, though.
>
> When you visit the file in the first place, tramp creates a temporary
> file - couldn't that be kept around?

That's what I thought.

I assume the rsync method operates on this file, rather than just rsyncing
the remote file to an new empty local file everytime, doesn't it (the
latter would imply there would be no saving from the rsync method)?

I'm not a procrastinator! I'm temporally challenged!