Re: local execution of commands on remote files

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: local execution of commands on remote files
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 12:40:15 +0100

Adrian Lanz <address@hidden> writes:

> My question: is there some tramp built-in functionality to "execute"
> remote files on the local machine? After step 2 (tramp and dired have
> brought up the remote directry listing) I would like to do something
> like dired-do-shell-command (pressing "!"), which in this context
> would mean: download the remote file to some (configurable) temporary
> place on the local file system and then use the local application I
> provide in the mini-buffer on that temporary file.

Is it okay to run the command on the remote host?  Tramp does this by
default, I hope.  Just hit `!' in dired...

Potential problem: You can't see the result while the command is
executing; you have to wait until it is finished.  Another problem is
that Tramp sets path on the remote host, maybe LaTeX is not in that
path.  See variable tramp-remote-path.  (It's okay to put in entries
that exist only one one machine -- Tramp knows to ignore those
directories on the other machines.)

Kai