Re: local execution of commands on remote files

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: local execution of commands on remote files
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 10:17:48 +0100

Adrian Lanz <address@hidden> writes:

> Concerning the remote system. In my case these systems are Windows NT
> or whatever Windows machines, whereas my local machine is a Unix
> Desktop (Solaris) or notebook (Linux). My collegues store thier
> contribution in one of MS-Office formats or hopefully in some
> generally readable output format (pdf, html, ...). I would like to
> quickly read (and possibly change) these files with my locally
> installed OpenOffice or xpdf or whatever (I can't get a Windows
> display on my X window system, do I?), and put my contributions -
> fully documented - as source (tex) and in some output formats (pdf,
> ps, dvi, ...) on that repository. By downloading and uploading the
> files I can do both now (thanks to tramp!), and I just wondered if I
> could do that without the intermediate downloading/uploading step.

Hm.  Now I see that it won't help to execute the commands on the
remote host.  Okay, I hope that I won't forget to add this to the todo
list 8-)

Another alternative would be to use smbmount, but I know nothing about
it.  Presumably, you could then access the remote directory as if it
was local, similar to NFS.

(You could also encourage your colleagues to use CVS...)

Kai