Re: login fails

From: Adrian Phillips
Subject: Re: login fails
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 21:24:45 +0100

    >> > $ ssh -vvv address@hidden:/html
    >>
    >> Are you really sure you have done it this way? ssh does not
    >> accept path names in host names. Here my local attempt:

    Haines> I went back and tried it again, and indeed it didn't
    Haines> work. I apologize for bumbling somewhere along the line.

    >> ftp and ssh use different root directories. Please try the
    >> following:
    >>
    >> C-x C-f /ssh:address@hidden:/ C-x C-f
    >> /ftp:address@hidden:/

    Haines> That was news to me, and indeed led me to the
    Haines> solution. The following works splendidly:

    Haines>    C-x C-f /address@hidden:

    Haines> Thanks for the patience of one and all!

    Haines> Only one strange thing. I find I can access everyone
    Haines> else's account to the extent I have read permission for
    Haines> their files! Surely this is not right. Or is it? While I
    Haines> lack permission to do mischief, I certainly can snoop.

I think I've realised what has been happening here - when you ftp in
to the machine you are chrooted to your hoem directory, but not when
you ssh; this is why /html doesn't "exist" with ssh its actually
~/html. In fact ~/html would presumably work with ftp and ssh.

Sincerely,

Adrian Phillips

--
Who really wrote the works of William Shakespeare ?
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shakespeare/