Re: login fails

From: Haines Brown
Subject: Re: login fails
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 19:51:06 -0500 (EST)

It turns out that, indeed, my broken emacs was part of the
problem. Much better luck on the new disk.

I should interject that before, when I specified the file server
account as "ftp.hartford-hwp.com," that it was not a syntax error on
my part, but actually the address of my account on the server, which
includes prepends "ftp" as the beginning of its address.

I should recall that in ~/.emacs I have the lines:

  (add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/tramp/")
  (require 'tramp)
  (setq tramp-default-method "ssh")

The good news. When I do on the new disk:

  C-x C-f /address@hidden:/html

I get in, and things function properly.

However, I see no evidence I'm using ssh. In the emacs buffer: "*ftp
address@hidden I get roughly the following:

  ftp> open ftp.hartford-hwp.com
  230 restricted user logged in
  hash
  ftp> [etc. Results of my commands ls and cd]

Should I see evidence here of ssh? Or is ssh usage implicit?

I found that if I use

  C-x C-f /ftp:address@hidden:/html

I also get in OK, even though I've truncated the account name. Could
it be that my specification of the ftp mode was parsed by the server?

When I tried:

  C-x C-f /ssh:address@hidden:/html

It can't establish authenticity for host "ftp.hartford-hwp.com" and
I get the "File not found and directory write protected" error. Same
thing when I use:

  C-x C-f /ssh:address@hidden:/html

although one time it did get me into the server root directory, but no
"html" directory on it for me to go to.

So, while tramp is working for me, I'm uncertain that when I specify
no mode in the address, it is actually using the line in ~/.emacs to
default to ssh.

Haines Brown