Re: login fails

From: Haines Brown
Subject: Re: login fails
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 10:19:39 -0500 (EST)

I should note that the version of tramp I'm using is 1:2.0.42-2. I'm
trying tramp first on a garbage system in which I know emacs has
problems, and should perhaps move to my new system which has
a healthy emacs and runs tramp 1:2.0.47-1.

As for specifying the default mode, I have this line in ~/.emacs:

  (setq tramp-default-method "ssh")

You seem to imply that with a specification of the default method, I
need not use a mode specifier (use simply C-x C-f /address@hidden), but
then you said that if I intend to use ssh, I should add the ftp mode
specification (C-x C-f /ftp:address@hidden). In any case, I assume that
either choice should allow me to transfer files by ftp.

I did look at the buffers to see what was going on, but found
nothing. I ran C-x C-f /ftp:address@hidden:/html, which
brings up the HTML mode (not TeX, as I suggested inadvertently
before). I checked the buffers. There was nothing in them of interest,
but the list of buffers itself might be instructive:

  .   html"         0  text mode   ~/"/address@hidden
    * html        187  fundamental /ftp:address@hidden
    * *Messages* 1723  fundamental

Nothing relevant in any of these buffers, but their names strike me as
being strange. The messages buffer has a history involving ispell etc,
but nothing on ftp/tramp.

Incidentally, when I do this experiment, it messes up emacs so that I
can't start rmail and various commands don't work. I have to restart
emacs to continue.

Haines Brown