Re: login fails

From: Adrian Phillips
Subject: Re: login fails
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:28:55 +0100

    Haines> I should note that the version of tramp I'm using is
    Haines> 1:2.0.42-2. I'm trying tramp first on a garbage system in
    Haines> which I know emacs has problems, and should perhaps move
    Haines> to my new system which has a healthy emacs and runs tramp
    Haines> 1:2.0.47-1.

    Haines> As for specifying the default mode, I have this line in
    Haines> ~/.emacs:

    Haines>   (setq tramp-default-method "ssh")

    Haines> You seem to imply that with a specification of the default
    Haines> method, I need not use a mode specifier (use simply C-x
    Haines> C-f /address@hidden), but then you said that if I intend to
    Haines> use ssh, I should add the ftp mode specification (C-x C-f

I meant that if you have ssh as default and wish to use ftp then you
need the /ftp:.

    Haines> /ftp:address@hidden). In any case, I assume that either
    Haines> choice should allow me to transfer files by ftp.

Urgh, I'm losing track of what you want here, at any rate, with ssh as
default-method :-

WITH ftp as default-method :-

You can also always override the default-method by specifying :-

<failed attempt snipped>

    Haines> Incidentally, when I do this experiment, it messes up
    Haines> emacs so that I can't start rmail and various commands
    Haines> don't work. I have to restart emacs to continue.

I've never heard of this before although one of the tramp gurus may
have had the problems while experimenting. At any rate, check your
*Messages* buffer to check that tramp is loading and is being used. If
not and you've required tramp in your .emacs then it sounds like tramp
is not being loaded : try tramp-version to make sure.

Sincerely,

Adrian Phillips

--
Who really wrote the works of William Shakespeare ?
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shakespeare/