Re: login fails

From: Adrian Phillips
Subject: Re: login fails
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 13:54:19 +0100

    Haines> I gather that if I want to ftp without ssh, I should use
    Haines> the syntax:

    Haines>   C-x C-f /address@hidden:/html

    Haines> This simply causes emacs to move into the tex mode,
    Haines> opening a html document template! I tried to reduce
    Haines> ":/html" to just ":/", and emacs instead now offers to
    Haines> create the directory "/address@hidden:/"

That depends upon your tramp-default-method. Tramp will use that if
none is specified in the file line. In your case with ssh as the
default you need to specify /ftp:...

    Haines> I do wish to use ssh, and so tried:

    Haines>   C-x C-f /ftp:address@hidden:/html

Oh, you do wish to use ssh, so no you don't need /ftp:.

    Haines> and emacs simply wants again to create the directory.

As to why it doesn't work correctly I'd suggest checking you buffers
for various :-

 *  *tramp/scp address@hidden   347     Fundamental
 *  *tramp/scp address@hidden  20 Fundamental

to see if tramp has actually tried to setup a connection.

Sincerely,

Adrian Phillips

--
Who really wrote the works of William Shakespeare ?
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shakespeare/