Re: ssh method on emacs W32 and ssh from cygwin

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: ssh method on emacs W32 and ssh from cygwin
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 09:27:26 +0200

"emacs user" <address@hidden> writes:

Hi,

> thanks adrian, so having looked at the manual, I mostly found all
> sorts of indications that all efforts to make this work under windows
> dont work, except if using the cywin-ized emacs, which I find to be
> extremely unstable. thanks anyway, I hope someone will figure this out
> soon.

A cygwinized Emacs ought to be necessary only when using Cygwin's
openssh. Many people use PuTTY instead, and they seem to be happy with.

In your case, it looks to me like Tramp didn't reach ssh yet, but was
fighting with the initial shell. There was no prompt visible at
all. Would it be an option for you to take Windows' cmd.exe (what is
the default under Windows XP)? Or are you starting Emacs from a bash
shell?

Best regards, Michael.