Re: tramp (2.1.7); 2.1.7 - revert-buffer gives "tramp-flush-file-propert

From: Jonathan Hankins
Subject: Re: tramp (2.1.7); 2.1.7 - revert-buffer gives "tramp-flush-file-property: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil"
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 22:25:58 -0500

Michael,

> Oh, preloading 'cl is missing in tramp-cache.el. All the other
> tramp-*.el packages have it ...
>
> Could you, please, apply the patch below?

Tried the patch, and I still get the same error.

When I set debug-on-entry for tramp-cache-before-revert-function, do
"revert-buffer" and step through the execution, everything from 1> to 4> below
looks the same with the non-compiled tramp-cache.el and the compiled
tramp-cache.elc.  However, with the compiled tramp-cache.elc, when I step past
4>, it goes straight to 6>, calling tramp-flush-file-property(nil nil).
Whereas, with the non-compiled tramp-cache.el, it steps into the instructions
of the with-parsed-tramp-file-name macro from tramp.el.

1>  (let ((bfn (buffer-file-name))
2>        ;; Pacify byte-compiler.
3>        v localname)
4>    (when (and (stringp bfn) (tramp-tramp-file-p bfn))
5>      (with-parsed-tramp-file-name bfn nil
6>        (tramp-flush-file-property v localname)))))

If I set cl-optimize-speed to 0, and re-compile tramp-cache.el, then restart
and load the new compiled tramp-cache.elc, and step through the function, it
behaves similarly to the non-compiled version.  I looked at cl.el and
cl-macs.el, but I don't know enough to understand how cl-optimize-speed
affects byte compilation.  I was suspicious of the defstruct macro defined in
cl-macs.el -- is defstruct used by tramp?

I also noticed a couple of other threads on the devel list that looks like
they refer to the same problem.

The threads I mentioned are:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/tramp-devel/2006-05/msg00386.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/tramp-devel/2006-08/msg00020.html

I also tried tramp 2.1.7 under GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1, with the same result.

Thanks,

-Jonathan