Re: (tramp 2.1.7) Problems with Gnus

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: (tramp 2.1.7) Problems with Gnus
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 07:55:57 +0200

Oliver Heins <address@hidden> writes:

Hi,

> I realized that tramp and Gnus don't work really well together.  I often
> run in problems when using both at the same time.  Mostly, I can't
> connect to the remote file anymore if I'm running Gnus and cease to work
> on the file for some time.
>
> Conversely, if I'm visiting a tramp buffer and then try to start Gnus, it
> won't start but hang with an error.  I then get this error message:

Tramp 2.1 has an experimental feature running processes on remote
hosts, using the functions call-process and start-process. It is meant
as proof of the concept. The decision where to run a process is made
on default-directory.

Until now I would say it is proven that it doesn't work so
simple. Some packages, like gnus, require a LOCAL execution of a
process, being default-directory remote or local.

I'll append a patch to tramp-util.el which fixes this for gnus (and
some other few packages). But it is clear that another approach is
needed in mid-term.

>  olli

Best regards, Michael.