Re: Tramp 2.1.9

From: Pete Forman
Subject: Re: Tramp 2.1.9
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 17:09:24 +0100

At 2007-04-12 15:21 +0200, Michael Albinus wrote:
As I said already, I'm an XEmacs rookie. If you could provide your
patches, and if they are small enough (not more than ~15 lines at
all), I will be glad to apply them. If it isn't such tiny, we would
need paperwork, or I would need to write the patches by myself given
on the symptoms you report. Anyway, I would appreciate all your
suggestions.

1) tramp-shell-prompt-pattern

This looks as if it is catering for a color reset in the prompt.  It
only works for some common TERM settings, e.g. the first of these is
detected okay currently:

> tput -T vt220 sgr0 | od -c
0000000 033   [   m
0000003
> tput -T xterm sgr0 | od -c
0000000 033   [   m 017
0000004

I've set my var with customize but the attached patch should work.

2) configure and spaces

I was using cygwin to configure and make.  Unfortunately it was not
able to handle spaces in my path names.  I was able to fix a few
obvious places, changing <foo=$bar> into <foo="$bar"> in the configure
script.  Then I hit places where the script did an "Extract the first
word of " and then choked on the result.  I mitigated the problem with
a temporary symlink but I suppose I could have set PATH rather than
using --with-xemacs="pathname_with_spaces" .

To fix this the arg handling for called programs would need an
overhaul.  One way would be for extra options for configure such as
--with-emacs-args.  Another would be to assume that no extra args
are needed.

3) timer-funcs.el

This is part of the current standard xemacs-base package.  I would
have it (and probably a more recent Tramp) if I'd updated packages.
The last XEmacs 21.5 full Windows installable was ages ago.

A link to get the single file is

http://cvs.xemacs.org/viewcvs.cgi/XEmacs/packages/xemacs-packages/xemacs-base/timer-funcs.el

Better general advice for users would be to update their xemacs-base
package.

4) set-buffer-multibyte

The place(s) where this is called should be conditional on (fboundp
`set-buffer-multibyte) or perhaps (featurep 'xemacs).

5) remote shell discovery

With hindsight fixing tramp-shell-prompt-pattern might have got me
going sooner.  The default shell on my UNIX accounts is tcsh and it
has codes to set the prompt and xterm title.  My Korn and Bash
environments are quieter.  It would be nice if we could skip the auto
discovery and issue "plink ... env 'PS1=$ ' /bin/sh -i" or whatever
as the first remote command.  This could involve splitting each hop
into a local and remote spec.  The remote part could default to
discovery to keep existing behavior.

--
Pete Forman                -./\.-  Disclaimer: This post is originated
WesternGeco                  -./\.-   by myself and does not represent