Re: Tramp 2.1.9

From: Pete Forman
Subject: Re: Tramp 2.1.9
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 11:46:20 +0100

At 2007-04-22 21:48 +0200, Michael Albinus wrote:

>> Your plinkx patch was missing a bit.  I think there should be an entry
>> for tramp-set-completion-function in the second (eval-after-load
>> "tramp").
>
> I'm aware of this. I haven't done it yet, because I'm still thinking
> about how to exploit plinkx at best. One option would be to allow
> _only_ PuTTY sessions here, i.e. calling "plink -load sessionname"
> (instead of hostname). Consequently, auto-completion would need to
> read PuTTY session names from the Windows registry - a new function.

I've committed to CVS a change which implements this behaviour. Since
I'm not a regular Windows user, it might be helpful if you (and
everybody else :-) could test it a little bit.

plink would not work at first because tramp-default-user-alist makes
it pick up user-login-name (my Windows username) when I want it to use
tramp-default-user (my UNIX username).  So I Customized the alist to
remove the remsh...plink entry.  That was not smooth either as the
alist had been changed in tramp-fish.el.  The add-to-list in there
needs to be merged into the defcustom in tramp.el.

plinkx is working too.

Perhaps I should not be using tramp-default-user.  There is a warning
in its doc about mucking up some config files.  I've now reset it to
its default of nil and put my UNIX username into the remsh... entry
of the default alist.  Presumably that is the correct way of doing
things but it was not obvious from just looking at tramp-default-user.

Auto-completion on session name is not working but then I suspect that
it is failing for all methods.  tramp-parse-putty looks to be working
from the *scratch* buffer.  Completion of the file name works and that
is all I tend to use anyway.

Especially, I'm not confident about password-end-of-line
handling. plink and plink1 need two additional arbitrary
characters. Using a PuTTY session doesn't seem to need it. But again,
I'm not a trustworthy tester at all for Windows related software ...

I'm using pageant so I do not need to type in passwords.

As I said in previous messages, my preferred Tramp method is plink.
I do not want to make a duplicate of every PuTTY session in order to
use plinkx.

--
Pete Forman                -./\.-  Disclaimer: This post is originated
WesternGeco                  -./\.-   by myself and does not represent