Re: tramp-find-file-exists-command problem with ntemacs 22.0.92.1

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp-find-file-exists-command problem with ntemacs 22.0.92.1
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 16:59:53 +0200

Patrik Jonsson <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi again,

Hi Patrick,

> I redid the trace, it's attached to this message. This is when partially
> typing a tramp filename in the minibuffer and trying to autocomplete,
> which still gets the "Trying to find command to find if file exists" error.
>
> Interestingly enough, it now WORKS to open a remote file if I type the
> entire filename and hit enter. I swear this did not work before, so I'm
> not sure what's going on.

But that's exactly what the traces show. I don't want to bore you with
all the details, but in tramp-file-name-handler there is a special
handling when the operation in question is expand-file-name und you
are in the completion mode (meaning you have hit TAB). It expands
wrongly "/plink:governator:/" to "c:/plink:governator:/", with several
undesired consequences ...

I will see whether I can find a solution for this. On the other hand,
in Tramp 2.1 seem to be fixes for this problem. Given, that the code
basis between Tramp 2.0 and 2.1 is fairly different, and given that
Tramp 2.1 is now in the Emacs CVS trunk, it might be more efficient to
concentrate on Tramp 2.1.

> cheers,
>
> /Patrik

Thanks for your patient testing, and best regards, Michael.