Re: tramp (2.1.12); Host name completion not working in XEmacs

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.1.12); Host name completion not working in XEmacs
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 12:55:21 +0100

Pete Forman <address@hidden> writes:

> The only wrinkle is the lack of an auto load.  If I start a fresh
> instance of XEmacs and type C-x C-f /[myhos TAB then Tramp's
> completion does not kick in.  If I enter ] TAB then Tramp makes an
> abortive attempt to open myhos.  From there on completion of myhost
> works.

It is by intention. Let's call it "collateral damage because of GNU Emacs".

The Tramp syntax there is different, as you might know. People, who
don't use Tramp, don't want to have it autoloaded when they type "C-x
C-f /myhos TAB". "/myhos" could complete to a local file name as well.

Maybe one could implement different autoload cookies for GNU Emacs and
XEmacs. I am a GNU Emacs user, so I would let this task for a
volunteer with XEmacs background.

> (require 'tramp) in ~\.xemacs\init.el is okay as a work around.

Yes, that is the way to go.

I'll provide the patch with Tramp 2.1.13, which is hopefully not so
far from now. It will look different, because of other problems of
autoload. But the functionality shall be there.

> Thanks.

Best regards, Michael.