Tramp talks to ssh server on save-buffers-kill-emacs

From: Julian Scheid
Subject: Tramp talks to ssh server on save-buffers-kill-emacs
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 00:17:39 +1100

Hi,

I'm using Tramp 2.1.13 on Emacs 22.1 but I've seen this same problem with previous versions of both Tramp and Emacs.

My scenario is the following: while at work I am opening a couple of files using tramp. When I return home, I leave emacs running and still have the tramp buffers open. Still at home, without a connection to the server the files originally came from I try quitting Emacs and I get the following error message (in tramp's debug buffer):

ssh: Error resolving hostname somehost: No address associated with nodename

and in *Messages*:
  File error: Process died

and Emacs refuses to quit.

If I want to quit Emacs without the connection I can use the following workaround: M-x kill-some-buffers RET y y y y y y y [...] - and once all tramp buffers are killed I can quit. But that's quite painful depending on how many buffers I have open, and usually I have lots.

My question is, why does Tramp try to talk to the original host when I do C-x C-c, but not when I do M-x kill-some-buffers? Is there a workaround so it doesn't attempt to talk to the host without a good reason?

Thanks,

Julian