Re: Tramp talks to ssh server on save-buffers-kill-emacs

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp talks to ssh server on save-buffers-kill-emacs
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 16:06:29 +0200

Julian Scheid <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,

> My scenario is the following: while at work I am opening a couple of
> files using tramp. When I return home, I leave emacs running and still
> have the tramp buffers open. Still at home, without a connection to
> the server the files originally came from I try quitting Emacs and I
> get the following error message (in tramp's debug buffer):
>
>   ssh: Error resolving hostname somehost: No address associated with
> nodename
>
> My question is, why does Tramp try to talk to the original host when I
> do C-x C-c, but not when I do M-x kill-some-buffers? Is there a
> workaround so it doesn't attempt to talk to the host without a good
> reason?

Tramp talks to a remote host only in case it sends a command. But I'm
not aware which command is sent when quitting Emacs.

Maybe some of your remote buffers weren't saved when you quit Emacs?
Then it is clear that Emacs tries to save such buffers when you quit,
and Tramp is not able to do the job.

Could you, please, set tramp-verbose to 6, and rerun the scenario?
I'ld like to see the Tramp debug buffer then.

> Thanks,
>
> Julian

Best regards, Michael.