Re: tramp (2.1.15-pre); fails to open remote file on a Linksys router ru

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.1.15-pre); fails to open remote file on a Linksys router running OpenWRT Kamikaze 7.09 [Dropbear sshd v0.50, BusyBox v1.4.2].
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 06:22:45 +0100

Gregor Zattler <address@hidden> writes:

> Dear  Michael,

Hi,

> O.K. I understand this now and also did find the paragraph in the
> manual which says so.  But I do not understand why this optimization
> takes place regardless of its preconditions.  Since there are no
> inline transfer methods to use, they should not be used any way.
>
> At least to me it seems then the default is the wrong way around: It
> should be set to "0" in order to function under every circumstances
> and the manual should hint for possible optimazions and their
> drawbacks.

A default value shall serve the majority. It is a rare case, that there
is no encoding routine on the remote host.

>> Additionally, you need to apply the appended patch (there was an
>> error, indeed).
>
> With tramp-copy-size-limit set to "0" and you patch applied it now
> works very well.

The patch is already committed to the repositories. So you shouldn't
have a problem in the future.

I'm thinking of setting tramp-copy-size-limit to 0 automatically, when
there is no remote encoding routine. But this isn't trivial.

> Thank you for your support and time spend on my problem.
>
> Regards, Gregor

Best regards, Michael.