Re: tramp (2.1.15-pre); fails to open remote file on a Linksys router ru

From: Gregor Zattler
Subject: Re: tramp (2.1.15-pre); fails to open remote file on a Linksys router running OpenWRT Kamikaze 7.09 [Dropbear sshd v0.50, BusyBox v1.4.2].
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 13:38:37 +0100

Dear  Michael,
On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 07:23:10AM +0100, Michael Albinus wrote:
> Gregor Zattler <address@hidden> writes:
> > I skimmed the fine manual and my impression was, that TRAMP
> > tries all transfer methods if none is specified.  I now specified
> > several external transfer methods namely scp and sftp since I know
> > that it is possible to transfer files this way:
> [...]
> > My understanding of the manual was, that the external methods do not
> > depend on the encoding programs you mentioned.

> In general, your approach is the right one. But there is an optimization
> in Tramp, which beats you now: if there is a small file to be copied,
> Tramp uses an inline method, even if an external method is specified.

> You can customize this behaviour: just set tramp-copy-size-limit to
> 0.

O.K. I understand this now and also did find the paragraph in the
manual which says so.  But I do not understand why this optimization
takes place regardless of its preconditions.  Since there are no
inline transfer methods to use, they should not be used any way.

At least to me it seems then the default is the wrong way around: It
should be set to "0" in order to function under every circumstances
and the manual should hint for possible optimazions and their
drawbacks.

> Additionally, you need to apply the appended patch (there was an
> error, indeed).

With tramp-copy-size-limit set to "0" and you patch applied it now
works very well.

Thank you for your support and time spend on my problem.

Regards, Gregor