Re: file storage in IMAP (eventually for Tramp) working and needs testin

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: file storage in IMAP (eventually for Tramp) working and needs testing
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 16:34:49 -0500

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 19:25:58 +0200 Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:

MA> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
>> I made many other fixes so please use the attached file as a baseline if
>> you want to submit patches for any of the issues I listed before, or any
>> new issues you notice.  It's getting close to usable.

MA> I've started to play with it. First error:

MA> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-number-of-arguments #[nil "ŠdbˆÀÁÂÃ#…
MA> " nil t delete-char 1] 4
("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.0.92/lisp/gnus/nnheader.elc" . 25599)] 1)
MA>   nnheader-ms-strip-cr("X-Tramp-Imap: *scratch*

This is fixed, thanks.  It was simplest to just copy those functions to
tramp-imap.el, considering it shouldn't depend on Gnus anyhow.

MA> You use by default 'ssl for connection. Can we expect this to be the
MA> standard? Or shall we let the user decide, for example by two methods
MA> "imap" and "imaps"?

That makes sense, yes.  Do you think you could add it?  For now I left
it nil, so imap.el will pick the best available stream.

MA> I've also applied some few patches, you might check. See appended.

I applied them all, thank you.

Current status: passphrase management works, but I should hook
auth-source into it.  Saving a file works, both to a new name and to an
existing name.  Opening a file works.  Deleting a file doesn't work yet.
I hope users can start testing this so I'm not just testing it against
my Courier IMAP server in GNU Emacs (XEmacs should work too, for
example).

I think it's OK to throw this into Tramp when file deletion is added and
all the extraneous comments are removed.  All the TODO items should also
be done.  By then we should have some test cases too.

Thanks for your help and sorry for the long delay...
Ted