Re: problem of `tramp-handle-file-local-copy' and inline transfer compre

From: Toru TSUNEYOSHI
Subject: Re: problem of `tramp-handle-file-local-copy' and inline transfer compressing
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 19:13:07 +0900 (JST)

> That's true for text files. For binary files, compress won't decrease
> the file size remarkable.

That's right. (I was going to write about it.)

> (info "(tramp)Password handling")
>
> In your case, I would recommend
>
> (setq password-cache t)

Thanks.
I will check `info' later.

I made sure that `password-cache' is t (by default).
I found that `password-cache-expiry' is 16 in "lisp/password-cache.el",
so I set nil to it.

> If possible, you might also try "scpc" or "rsyncc" methods. Those
> methods reuse existing ssh connections for the copy operation.
>
> I haven't found a similar feature in pscp yet, unfortunately.

I will try those methods if the occasion arises.
(I image that users maybe deal with remote files as if they are local
files by those methods.)

>> But, if any part of the patch is effective, plese make use of it.
>
> I will check further. Maybe you are right, and inline compression is
> more effective than scp/pscp. But it needs some more description in the
> manual, how a user shall tune it.

I hope that is useful.

>> Thanks, Michael san. (san: honorific title in Japanese)
>
> Thanks for your contribution, Toru san! Best regards, Michael.

Thanks again, Michael san.