Re: tramp-gvfs: parsing issues when using locale

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp-gvfs: parsing issues when using locale
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 20:07:37 +0200

Jürgen Hötzel <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Jürgen,

>     Another point: I'm still unsure, whether we shall call the method
>     "google-drive", this sounds too long. Something like "gd" sounds
>     better to me. See `tramp-gvfs-mount-spec', where we map already
>     Tramp "smb" to FUSE "smb-share".
>
> Well thats the method used in Nautilus and all other GIO programs.

They have a GUI where you could select it in a widget. In Emacs, you
type it (modulo completion). And with Tramp names, one line in the
minibuffer is often too short; personally I dislike too long file names
there. Unreadable.

>     And we shall declare "gmail.com" as default host, and maybe
>     (user-login-name) as default user name for this method (I know,
>     the latter one is questionable). Then one could access as
>     "/gd::/path/to/file".
>
> Or user-mail-adress to get host and user-name?

Yes, but only if it contains a Google mail address. Otherwise, it would
be a too wide guess. Personally, I own a gmail.com account, but I don't
use it in my `user-mail-address'.

Well, `user-login-name' might also be misleading. So we could agree on this?

;;;###tramp-autoload
(when (string-match "\\(.+\\)@\\(gmail\\|googlemail\\)\\.com" user-mail-address)
  (add-to-list 'tramp-default-user-alist
               `("\\`gd\\'" nil ,(match-string 1 user-mail-address)))
  (add-to-list 'tramp-default-host-alist
               '("\\`gd\\'" nil "gmail.com")))

(Yes, the method name is not agreed yet between us ...)

> Regards
>
> Jürgen

Best regards, Michael.