Re: tramp-gvfs: parsing issues when using locale

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp-gvfs: parsing issues when using locale
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 09:21:01 +0200

Jürgen Hötzel <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Jürgen,

> This was most likely caused by my previous change to suppress locale
> settings. "C.utf8" is not a valid locale on my system.
> And no guarantee can be given en_US.utf8 is available. So i just
> suppress the LC_MESSAGES category in my latest commit:

That's why I check what is available (on the remote host) in
`tramp-get-remote-locale'. Your solution shall work also.

Let's see how it goes with utf8 encoded file names. I don't know whether
you can trust, that the used locale is always based on utf8. People
might still set something like LC_ALL=en_US.iso88591 in their .profile,
who knows ...

> BTW: sorry for the premature previous commit (I just reverted it).

No problem.

> So the changes required to support google-drive/display-names should
> get much simpler.

I'm eager to see them in the repo. You might even commit if they are not
perfect yet; maybe I could help a little bit in testing. Not for the
google-drive method, but I run tramp-tests.el for a lot of different
targets before I release a new Tramp version. I would run them with your
changes in order to see whether something is broken.

And I will check whether there are some alpha Debian or Ubuntu packages
for that gvfs extension available; I would like to test it myself.

> Regards, Jürgen

Best regards, Michael.