Re: Shell-quoting issue for sshx/scpx on MS Windows

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Shell-quoting issue for sshx/scpx on MS Windows
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2021 09:28:43 +0200

Jim Porter <jporterbugs@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Jim,

>> So I've reverted the use of powershell in Tramp on MS Windows. Instead,
>> I'm using the "double apostroph" quoting as suggested by you, and this
>> works proper.
>
> Good to hear this works for you as well. I tested locally with the
> latest git revision on both MS Windows and Linux (including multi-hop
> from MS Windows -> Linux -> Linux), and everything works as I'd
> expect.

Thanks for testing. With "working proper" I meant the Linux and FrreBSD
cases I'm able to test. Good to get feedback for MS Windows.

>> Could you pls pull the recent git sources, and check whether it makes a
>> difference?
>
> Everything seems good to me. I couldn't find any problems, and there's
> no longer a hang when exiting GDB.

What I'm thinking for a longer time is to enable remote processes on MS
Windows, as remote target. AFAIK there is also an OpenSSH server for
that beast, so it must be possible to start remote processes via ssh
from a local Emacs running on, let's say, Linux.

The smb method must be extended for this, but that shall be
possible. ATM, smb-like connections use winexe for remote processes on
MS Windows. But I don't know whether this is really used by somebody,
and winexe doesn't seem to be maintained anymore. I even don't know
whether it is cooperating with MS Windows 10. WDYT?

> Thanks,
> - Jim

Best regards, Michael.