Re: Shell-quoting issue for sshx/scpx on MS Windows

From: Jim Porter
Subject: Re: Shell-quoting issue for sshx/scpx on MS Windows
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 22:32:52 -0700

On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 3:51 AM Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> wrote:
> Jim Porter <jporterbugs@gmail.com> writes:
> > The ubiquity of Git has a nice side effect here: every MS Windows
> > system with Git installed has sh.exe and dozens of other common POSIX
> > programs in .../Git/usr/bin. In theory, Tramp (or the user) just needs
> > to change the `tramp-remote-shell' property from "/bin/sh" to
> > "C:/Program Files/Git/usr/bin/sh.exe"[2] when connecting to an MS
> > Windows server. If the ANSI escape issue is resolved, setting
> > `tramp-remote-shell' might be enough to allow connecting to MS Windows
> > servers via sshx. I'm still not 100% sure the ANSI escapes are the
> > problem, but if so, this would hopefully reduce the amount of effort
> > required to make this work.
>
> That's possible, yes. But besides the POSIX shell, Tramp needs on the
> remote side also some POSIX tools, like find, grep, stat, you name it.
>
> Might be worth to try it, but since I don't run a (remote) MS Windows
> machine, I have no chance to test.

Git hopefully provides enough on MS Windows. I've attached a list of
all the executable files in "C:/Program Files/Git/usr/bin" in case you
want to see what's available. I think the first thing would be for me
to try adding support for the necessary ANSI escape response to
satisfy MS Windows' OpenSSH server; I'll see if I can figure out how
to do that when I get the chance. I'll let you know how that goes.

- Jim