Basic questions about using Tramp

From: David Karr
Subject: Basic questions about using Tramp
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 16:52:12 -0800

I've used (Cygwin) Emacs for many years, although I don't really consider myself a sophisticated user of it. I mostly use it for shell buffers and light editing, although every once in a while I use recorded keyboard macros for large scale automated editing.

Using Tramp 2.5.3.28.2 in Cygwin GNU Emacs 28.2.

I have a situation now where I ssh from my desktop to a jump server, and then I ssh to one of several hosts where I'll run command lines to examine data on a remote server and sometimes store data from that server in local files.  When I do that, I will want to transfer those files back through both remote servers so I can more easily view them in Emacs on my desktop. I don't want to install Emacs on the remote hosts.

I heard about Tramp a long time ago, but I never had a big need for it.  Based on what I want to do now, it seems reasonable to see if Tramp can make this a little easier for me. I'd like to see if I can use tramp, or some variation, to create shell windows to the jump server and to the second host, but I'd also like to be able to open the files created on the second host in Emacs on my desktop.

I started going through the manual, but I could use a "quick start" with some basic operations to see if this can work.

I verified that I can ssh to the jump server (no password required) in a mintty window.  In my Emacs, I tried a simple test of trying to edit:

This seems to freeze and take a long time, but then finally fails with "Timeout reached".  I also tried to view the "*tramp/ssh ..." buffer, but it was empty.