Re: Using tramp with "RemoteCommand"

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Using tramp with "RemoteCommand"
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 18:39:34 +0200

Daniel Gomez <d.gomez@posteo.org> writes:

Hi Daniel,

> I would like to tramp into a compute node of an HPC cluster.
> That requires an ssh connection to a login node and then using `srun`
> to request an interactive session.
> If using a terminal, all I need is to set up the following on my
> .ssh/config, and then `ssh computenode` gets me directly to the
> compute node:
>
> ```
> Host computenode
>      User user
>      HostName loginnode.edu
>      IdentityFile ~/.ssh/id_loginnode
>      RequestTTY yes
>      RemoteCommand srun --partition=partition --account=account
>      --gpus=1   --pty /usr/bin/zsh
> ```
>
> However, when connecting via TRAMP this doesn't work, because
> [apparently TRAMP cannot be used with "RemoteCommand".][1]
>
> **Question: How can I use TRAMP with RemoteCommand, or how can I have
>   Tramp connect directly to an HPC compute node with `srun`?**

I wouldn't say that Tramp doesn't work with RemoteCommand ever. But the
command must open an interactive shell on the remote side; that's what
Tramp expects.

I don't know srun, but your example let me believe it opens a remote
zsh. That would be OK.

Please set tramp-verbose to 10, and rerun your test. It will produce a
Tramp debug buffer, which we could analyze then.

> Regards,
> Daniel

Best regards, Michael.