tsp-devel

Re: [Tsp-devel] Date in version / continuous builds

From: Eric Noulard
Subject: Re: [Tsp-devel] Date in version / continuous builds
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 12:53:33 +0200

2008/7/3 Jerome Arbez-Gindre <address@hidden>:
> Hi all,
>
> We are using a tool to perform continuous builds (on every CVS change)
> on the linux kernel blackboard module.

Nice idea continous integration.
This was first discussed by Stephane GALLES
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/tsp-devel/2007-02/msg00022.html
then he setup a cruise control build which sometimes knock us
when we do too-fast [nasty] commit :=)

> I would need to have a date indication in the name of the generated package ;
> For this, see the Attached patch.
>
> - Comments/fixes are welcome
> - tested on GNU/Linux
> - the date indication will be only available under Unix systems (I
> don't have time/motivation to search how to get the date with windows)

The idea of "dynamic" version mangling seems OK to me but
it shouldn't be the default behavior so I propose you an alternate patch
(attached).

The idea is that CMake TSP build system does not do version manglling
on its own but only if it has been specified on the cmake command line,
using the PACKAGE_VERSION_MORE cmake var.

In order to have the same behavior you had with your patch
Hudson should call CMake like this:

cmake -D PACKAGE_VERSION_MORE:STRING=cvs`date +%Y%m%d`

The advantage of my solution is that the builder ([wo]man, continuous
build tool, ...)
may decorate the version "as [s]he wants".

If this is OK for you and other I may commit this, the patch is
harmful in the default
case since it does change the previous behavior.

> Subsidiary question:
> Our "continuous builds" tool (Hudson) can send emails in case of  Failed
> build.
> Is there any TSP address where I could send such notifications ?

Sure, the tsp-integration is open just for that.

this is a subscriber-only lists which means that the sender
address you use to send message to the list should subscribe
to the list.
If is not feasible for you I may add the sender address to the
OK sender list of the list but I would rather avoid this.
Moreover if you send message may be some of you would be interested
by receiving those messages :=)

--
Erk