uracoli-devel

Re: [uracoli-devel] MacOS compile problems

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [uracoli-devel] MacOS compile problems
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 17:37:06 +0100

As Torsten Meißner wrote:

> I'm the one who was with the MacBook at the tic-tac-toe workshop. On
> the workshop's webpage you write that you are not able to reproduce
> the compile problem. My avr-libc version is 1.8.0 also, my avr-gcc
> version is 4.6.3 (both installed with macports). In the meantime, i
> have to work with my debian thinkpad or in Vbox.

The strange thing about it: I have updated my GCC SVN (trunk) at home
right after the workshop, so it's close to GCC 4.7.0 now.  This
compiler, together with avr-libc 1.8.0, has no problems compiling the
µracoli head.

I begin to wonder whether it's perhaps a bug that only experiences in
GCC 4.6.3, and has been fixed later on in GCC.

> btw: i have really appreciate the workshop

You're welcome!  As promised on the workshop, I finished setting up
a small web documentation about the soldering process I've been
using for the boards:

http://uracoli.nongnu.org/clt2012/Loeten/index.html

(Sorry to our international readers, it's in German, because the
workshop was German anyway.)

> so I'm thinking about a
> new diy-project which uses the uracoli lib.

If you also want do design DIY hardware, you are better advised to put
a small lowpass filter into the antenna path.  For the symmetric
antenna, that's four SMD capacitors and two SMD coils, but it yields
you a better safety margin wrt. unwanted radiated RF power.  For the
Tic-Tac-Toe boards, I simply left it out since bridging large
distances wasn't a design goal, so reducing the transmit power to -3
dBm appeared appropriate.

If you want a better (actually, a really good one!) antenna, have a
look at Atmel's appnote AVR2006.