Re: consult/1 overrides dynamic predicate declarations?

From: Erick Alphonse
Subject: Re: consult/1 overrides dynamic predicate declarations?
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 01:33:40 +0200

Hello,

them as dynamic before loading the user's file. But consult declares them as static, overriding the dynamic declaration. Is it the intended behaviour? Eclipse and swi-prolog don't do that.

So, I think gprolog is just following the standard. You need to put ':- dynamic(P).' in each of the files that defines P.

It's surprising to be so strict about dynamic declaration, as you can assert whatever predicate you want without declarating them before as dynamic.

Anyway, my user-supplied file is less and less readable and declarative. I thought about asking the user to set things this way:
:- set(beamsize,5).

but gprolog does not support user directive either (initialization/1 is neither readable nor declarative). Does no one think one of the two features are missing (consult doesn't override dynamic;user directive)? Am I the only one bothered :-)?

Does someone have a solution for using a nice setting file (the user can do whatever he wants in this file, in addition of providing some setting values)?

Thanks for any idea or point of view on these two features,
Erick.