Re: HURD source code at hurd.gnu.org

From: Ognyan Kulev
Subject: Re: HURD source code at hurd.gnu.org
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 16:32:07 +0300

On Tue, May 08, 2001 at 03:26:25AM -0700, Jim Franklin wrote:
>  Roland McGrath brought up an interesting point, that being that a method of
> cross-referencing the source code is very important for keeping a firm
> handle on the source code. He speaks highly of lxr http://lxr.linux.no/ .
> Perhaps the GNU Global folks have a cross-referencing tool that can be
> utilized.
>  What are everyone's thoughts on this matter.

My observations are that:
1. lxr is more powerful.  It converts not only the sources as GLOBAL do but
   text files too. (+lxr)
2. GLOBAL has cleaner convertion to HTML (lxr bloats the source with many
   links). (+GLOBAL)
3. GLOBAL can make nice static HTML without frames. (++GLOBAL)
4. I'm not certain if
   a) lxr can work only as a CGI (--lxr)
   b) lxr can connect directly with CVS (+lxr)
4. Daily updates are not needed.  Weekly updates will be enough.  (Think
   about how many people are actually changing Hurd or GNUMach.)

Proposal:
* GLOBAL makes static HTML from CVS source weekly.
* All text files of interest (like hurd/doc/navigating) go to hurd.gnu.org
* When gnu.org become more relaxed about CGIs or equivalent we can think
  about lxr.

Regards
--
Ognyan Kulev <address@hidden>, "\"Programmer\""