HURD source code at hurd.gnu.org

From: Jim Franklin
Subject: HURD source code at hurd.gnu.org
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 03:26:25 -0700

Hi paulv,
 I've been research and thinking about ways to present the hurd and GNUMach
source code at the hurd.gnu.org website and have come up with something
which I think is quite interesting. I was thinking that GNU Global could be
used to tag the source code. Examples of html tagged code is given in the
links below.

http://www.tamacom.com/tour/hurd/index.html
http://www.tamacom.com/tour/mach/index.html

this is generated for the old hurd 0.2 release and the GNUMach 1.1.3 kernel.
A quick overview of GNU Global can be found at:

http://www.tamacom.com/global/global.html#SEC1

 I think presentation of the source code in this fashion would be of great
benefit to the hurd hackers in general. If we could run this as a script on
a daily or weekly basis it would remain current enough for the hackers to
converse on the mailing lists and remain cutting edge on the changes to the
source.
 Roland McGrath brought up an interesting point, that being that a method of
cross-referencing the source code is very important for keeping a firm
handle on the source code. He speaks highly of lxr http://lxr.linux.no/ .
Perhaps the GNU Global folks have a cross-referencing tool that can be
utilized.
 What are everyone's thoughts on this matter.

Jim