Re: Central Hurd web (Was: question about booting hurd)

From: Ian Duggan
Subject: Re: Central Hurd web (Was: question about booting hurd)
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 00:13:09 -0800

> Didn't I already post to web-hurd saying that I had this running?  I
> thought I did...

Oh shoot. I just checked the archive and you did send a message. I must
have skimmed over it without realizing. Apologies!

> All I need is your savannah account (and I'll go through my maillog,
> since I can't remember off hand what you're going to work on)

My account on Savannah is "ijcd".

This was all set in motion by a message on the debian-hurd list in early
December:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-hurd/2001/debian-hurd-200112/msg00041.html

The general thoughts are that it is hard for people new to the Hurd to
understand the ins and outs of the project, as well as how it is related
to the various sub projects (gnumach, oskit-mach, Hurd on L4, Debian
GNU/Hurd, etc...). There are lots of pages around the net with
information on the Hurd, but as a former Hurd newbie, I can assure you
that it is very difficult to make heads or tails of what is current and
what is out of date.

As the Hurd is the central hub of all of this information, it makes
sense that the Hurd web pages should _the_ source for up to date
information about the Hurd. For this to work, we need active maintenance
on them.

I had been working on some things that Jim Franklin had asked for back
at the beginning of the summer. I've since lost touch with him. I've dug
up a couple of emails for him and will
try again. The last email from him on web-hurd was in August.

My plan is to bring together all the good information on the net about
the Hurd and keep the GNU Hurd pages up to date with this info.

Educate users, attract developers, help newbies. Stamp out the
confusion.

-- Ian

http://www.ianduggan.net              address@hidden