Re: Am I missing something?

From: Eric Fluger
Subject: Re: Am I missing something?
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 18:34:20 -0400 (EDT)

OK. Here's the sequence, step by step as any-random-user would do it:

go to google:
http://www.google.com/

type in: gnu hurd l4 <return>
which takes you to:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=gnu+hurd+l4

The first item listed is titled: Hurd on L4
If you click on it you go to:
http://www.nongnu.org/l4hurd/

This site presents a bold opening statement:
This project is dead and the information here is outdated. Look at http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/hurd/hurd-l4/ for more up-to-date information.

The url is a live link. Click on it and you go to:
http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/hurd/hurd-l4/

And YES! after going through every single directory (almost) I did find one chang that was 3 weeks old and another that was 8 days old. (On my first visit I just tried the first few directories, which mostly have not been touched for at least several months.)

So I guess there's something going on, but one sure has to be committed to find out about it.

It's also worth noting that the next three listings returned by google are:

savannah.gnu.org/projects/l4hurd/
https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/hurd/
kerneltrap.org/news/hurd

All of which contain old news. It would be nice to get an update onto kerneltrap. Perhaps the really issue here has less to do with what is or is not happening, than how the project looks to the average data-mook.

I think it would be helpful to the general public standing of the gnu/hurd project to make the L4 porting effort more visible if you can do so without raising unreasonable expectations. (I suspect that some folks who were excited about the project when it started now figure that they have linux or *bsd and that seems to be working OK so why bother with hurd?)

The prospect of an L4 port is enticing in four ways:  :

-- Speed: L4 is tauted as being faster than mach. Performance is important to some for its own sake. It is important to others as a portability factor. (No sense in porting to my installed hardware base if my installed base to slow to run it.)

-- The usually cited advantages of a true microkernel architecture.

-- The prospect of something new: I suspect a lot of folks have "been there, done that" attitude toward any *Xish environment running on top of mach. The prospect of a shiny new kernel might get their attention. (Personally, I find the multi-server architecture pretty interesting no matter what it runs on, but I'm not sure how many of my colleagues in the work-a-day world would agree.)

-- Obsolescence prevention: The very fact that the hurd can run on more than one kernel is a big plus. hurdaganda :-) usually stresses the modularity of the multi-server environment. Servers can be individually added, removed, updated without effecting the others. However, the whole system seems tied to mach. (perhaps the opposite of MK/L4-Linux?) This leaves the kernel as prospective point of obsolescence. If you can change ANY component, even the kernel, in a way that is transparent to user processes you can upgrade the system incrementally far into the future (perhaps to the point where it becomes almost unrecognizable) no matter what kind of changes in hardware architecture, network architecture or user expectations come down the pike. (no pun intended). That should keep people interested.

Hope some of this has been constructive.

Eric Fluger
201-860-9608 Desk
201-892-7669 Mobile