[Wesnoth-dev] Simultaneous moves

From: Susanna Björverud
Subject: [Wesnoth-dev] Simultaneous moves
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 14:03:48 +0100

Hej allesammans,

Since Dave started the thread about simultaneous moves in the Coder's Corner, and I do not really feel comfortable posting there, I thought I would add some comments of mine here instead. Besided they are not relevant for coding, so do really not belong in Coder's Corner.

First, this is how I have understood that it should work: (please correct any and all misunderstandings. *smile*) * allied sides that are in sequence may move simultaneously, this sequence may however not be from last to first * all pre-turn events for sides that move simultaneously are fired simultaneously * it would be implemented through a locking system, where hexes would be locked by one player, and unaccessible to others until unlocked (extremely simplified version *grin*)
* it should be optional

Now some random thoughts. I generally like this idea, but I am not sure it would in fact lead to quicker games. But it would most definitely lead to more interesting waits. *smile* It would call for a much more coordinated effort from allies, which is good IMO.

I was however wondering if the optionality should not in fact be set by WML, that is left to the map/campaign developers? If it was, then it would be up to them/possible for them to take simultaneous moves into account when balancing the scenarios. Because I think it would be very hard to balance a scenario so it works well both with and without simultaneous moves.

I am also pretty sure that it would be too much for a single ai to handle both modes, so a separate ai for sim. moves would be needed. I think that for the ai to be able to use it well, it must be able to control all sim. moving sides. I am not sure if it would be possible to make an ai integrate into an alliance of humans very well though.

Sorry for barging in on unknown territory *smile*

/Sanna