Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Simultaneous moves

From: Asa Swain
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Simultaneous moves
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:02:31 -0800 (PST)

Having allies be able to move together would have a big effect on scenarios, especially if each side could somehow work together or coordinate thier attacks. However I think scenario developers should definitely be allowed to turn this off in the WML. Imagine if I create an event, where are the beginning of each side turn, all units take 2 damage. The effect would be very different if side 1 goes, then side 2, then side 3, then side 4, as opposed to side 1, then side 2,3,4 simulataniously (the the latter case, side 1's units would be a lot weaker during side2's turn). There are probably other examples where WML events that happen during each sideturn could be fouled up with simultaneous turns. Otherwise it sounds like a great idea.

-Asa

Susanna Björverud <address@hidden> wrote:
Hej allesammans,

Since Dave started the thread about simultaneous moves in the Coder's
Corner, and I do not really feel comfortable posting there, I thought I
would add some comments of mine here instead. Besided they are not
relevant for coding, so do really not belong in Coder's Corner.

First, this is how I have understood that it should work: (please
correct any and all misunderstandings. *smile*)
* allied sides that are in sequence may move simultaneously, this
sequence may however not be from last to first
* all pre-turn events for sides that move simultaneously are fired
simultaneously
* it would be implemented through a locking system, where hexes would
be locked by one player, and unaccessible to others until unlocked
(extremely simplified version *grin*)
* it should be optional

Now some random thoughts. I generally like this idea, but I am not sure
it would in fact lead to quicker games. But it would most definitely
lead to more interesting waits. *smile* It would call for a much more
coordinated effort from allies, which is good IMO.

I was however wondering if the optionality should not in fact be set by
WML, that is left to the map/campaign developers? If it was, then it
would be up to them/possible for them to take simultaneous moves into
account when balancing the scenarios. Because I think it would be very
hard to balance a scenario so it works well both with and without
simultaneous moves.

I am also pretty sure that it would be too much for a single ai to
handle both modes, so a separate ai for sim. moves would be needed. I
think that for the ai to be able to use it well, it must be able to
control all sim. moving sides. I am not sure if it would be possible to
make an ai integrate into an alliance of humans very well though.

Sorry for barging in on unknown territory *smile*

/Sanna