[Wesnoth-dev] Dwarves and Poison

From: James Barton
Subject: [Wesnoth-dev] Dwarves and Poison
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:55:33 -0500

I don't claim credit for this idea, but I think that it is the most elegant solution to the weakness of dwarves to poison: Give poison its own damage type, and make dwarves 50% resistant (the legendary "dwarvish constitution").

Then dwarves will still have to deal with damage by retreating to villages, however, they will have longer to do it in and generally will not be so "weak" to poison. No healer will be required, which preserves factional integrity. And as an added bonus, Richard's Nagas can have their poison immunity without some cheap "undead" hack.

With regards to other issues: I think that Ulfserkers need a 5-4 attack AND berserk only to work on offence. There has long been a concern that the "Berserk Frenzy" ability was a death-sentence for its possessors; these changes would reduce it to a "risky talent". And did anyone have a look at the Battlerager I supplied?

I would like to new dwarves. In addition to making the faction more interesting, I think that they could shore up some key balance issues. The Runemaster line, while not offering a damage edge over other dwarves, could end the problems the dwarves face fighting entrenched foes (problems exacerbated by their lack of manoeuvrability). The dwarvish runner / axe-thrower which has often been bandied around could fill the mixed-fighter role left so sorely empty between the Dwarvish Fighter and Thunderer.

James