[Wesnoth-dev] Changes to Steadfast

From: James Barton
Subject: [Wesnoth-dev] Changes to Steadfast
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 02:04:38 -0500

cc/d to the Forum - http://wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=66588#66588

--------------

After playing a few games against Dwarvish Guardsmen, I must admit that I find them extremely frustrating. Not so much because I'm doing so little damage to them - though that's annoying - but because even my higher-level units suffer more damage when attacking the Guardsman than they deal. An Elvish Hero dealing 3-4 damage and suffering 4-3 (5-3 now) seems stupid.

Charging units currently suffer double damage as well as dealing double damage, when they attack.

I propose that Steadfast units deal half damage as well as suffering half damage, when they defend. This would make Charge and Steadfast true opposites.

Of course, to compensate for this the Guardsman line would have its damage increased - to 6-3 or even 7-3 in the first level unit. But I believe that this would make them a more interesting unit - they can deal considerably more damage on the attack than they can on the defence, offering lots of opportunities for trade-offs, much as the Horseman currently does.

 Thoughts?

James Barton
a.k.a. Sangel