Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Changes to Steadfast

From: Alex Turner
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Changes to Steadfast
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:49:58 -0600

I agree with Dave; while I originally proposed the idea as now proposed, I think it works in-game quite well the way it is. It makes people hesitate before they go and attack one of Knaglon's finest. And that is the whole point of the unit.

-AT
David White wrote:

I haven't played at all with the new Guardsmen, but my thought in theory is that this is the way Guardsmen are meant to be. Their forte is being very very strong defensively, and I think it's reasonable that they inflict more damage against a second level attacker than the attacker inflicts on them. I think that being strong on offense is generally more valuable than being strong on defense, and so being strong defensively should involve a more dramatic skill shift.

Also consider that Dwarves are tough in melee combat. Even a dwarvish fighter on either offense or defense does the same potential damage as an Elvish Hero fighting them in melee combat: the Elvish Hero will do 6-4 and the Dwarvish Fighter will do 8-3 -- both having a potential of 24 damage. If the Dwarvish Fighter can do as much damage, then surely the Guardsman should be able to do more in their area of specialty.

Making them deal half damage and suffer half damage would make the skill redundant: we could just double their resistance, halve their attack power, and give them the 'charge' ability.

David

James Barton wrote:

cc/d to the Forum - http://wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=66588#66588

After playing a few games against Dwarvish Guardsmen, I must admit that I find them extremely frustrating. Not so much because I'm doing so little damage to them - though that's annoying - but because even my higher-level units suffer more damage when attacking the Guardsman than they deal. An Elvish Hero dealing 3-4 damage and suffering 4-3 (5-3 now) seems stupid.

Charging units currently suffer double damage as well as dealing double damage, when they attack.

I propose that Steadfast units deal half damage as well as suffering half damage, when they defend. This would make Charge and Steadfast true opposites.

Of course, to compensate for this the Guardsman line would have its damage increased - to 6-3 or even 7-3 in the first level unit. But I believe that this would make them a more interesting unit - they can deal considerably more damage on the attack than they can on the defence, offering lots of opportunities for trade-offs, much as the Horseman currently does.

 Thoughts?

James Barton
a.k.a. Sangel