Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Wiki: to register or not to register?

From: Hogne Håskjold
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Wiki: to register or not to register?
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 16:44:57 +0100

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 04:36:03PM +0100, Jordà Polo wrote:
> For those of you who didn't know, I'm slowly working on the new wiki (my
> time is limited these days).
>
>  1. http://wesnoth.slack.it/pmwiki/
>
> Most of you (developers, contributors...) have now a privileged account
> on the wiki: use your phpBB usename and password. If I have missed you,
> please le met know!
>
> The wiki is currently restricted, but my idea was to open it to everyone
> (except for some special pages) once the migration is finished.
>
> frame suggested today on IRC[2] that it could be a good idea to
> restrict the edits to registered users (using phpBB accounts, for
> example).
>
>  2. http://wesnoth.debian.net/#wesnoth-dev-2005-03-21.log
>
> Personally, I prefer the wiki to stay as open as possible. But if we
> continue having problems with the new wiki (I mean vandalism not
> spamming), that is always an option.
>
> Any thoughts?

Hi

I think it's a good idea to not have any of the pages more open than
to allow access to registered forum members.

That would allow anyone who is genuinely interested in contributing
to do so with minimal fuzz, and deter the vandals and spammers.  If
people feel that they can't be bothered to register to contribute then
it might not have been very thoughout in the first place :)

I think the current wiki solution has shown that having it open for
all don't work very well.

Furthermore having it open for all might end up being
counter-productive since it might make those who actually contribute
not bother anymore when they see that it always ends up being
destroyed/spammed.

---
mvh                 (o_
Hogne Håskjold      //\