Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Weather effects

From: Yann Dirson
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Weather effects
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 21:15:32 +0100

On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 12:36:30PM +0100, Hogne Håskjold wrote:
> Hi
>
> Zookeeper has made a very nice rain effect which I would like to add to
> trunk (http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8645).
>
> My plan is:
> Add the images to images/terrain/
> Add a weather.cfg containing the necessary macro's to data/terrain-graphics/

Sounds great !

> This is quite CPU-intensive so it should not be added to anything as
> default imo, but with the macro's available it should be quite easy for
> campaign makers to utilize it in custom campagins.

Right - it would be even better if the user would get the option to
have such CPU-intensive effects.  I can see several possibilities:

- define a handful of "realism levels", and associate such levels to
each such feature

- get such features "registering" themselves to the game, so that the
preferences dialog allows to select the features individually

- maybe use the "advanced" tab for this ?

Another thing to consider is that using such a feature is not only a
user preference thing: some platforms like the FPU-less PDAs will
surely not be able to do that in the near future, so it would be nice
if the involved files (images and wml) could be easily separated from
the rest, so we can just teach utils/splittree about this new special
category.

Best regards,
--
Yann Dirson    <address@hidden> |