Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Weather effects

From: Deva
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Weather effects
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 21:41:24 -0000

> - get such features "registering" themselves to the game, so that the
> preferences dialog allows to select the features individually
>
> - maybe use the "advanced" tab for this ?

I think the Display tab would fit quite nicely for the purpose of disabling/enabling cpu
intensive *display* features, like this one. Weren't we trying to get rid of the Advanced tab?

--

on the other hand, weather could be a nice add-on to gameplay, too - Ok,
this might be a bit against the wesnoth spirit, since defence is

much difficulty to conceptualize weather as an element of Time of day, or
even as terrain on purposes of visibility. Maybe different kinds of weather
could have different effects. If this becomes the case, I think the place

for the option would be right next to fog of war, and the way the game
handles it could be similar, too (although a bit more complex)

Ok, anything that affects gameplay is bound to affect the game balance is

some horrible way :) The best way I can think of for things not to happen
this way, is to make the effects of weather as universal and minimal as
possible.

Attack could be affected to a small extent, adding or subtracting 5% from

chances. I think this would be cool, as then chances would take values
ending in 5, too. I think this would make the percentages a bit more...
"alive"... ah, anyway.

Some effects could deal or heal one point of damage per turn. I liked the 2

damage per turn you get in the desert in "Under the Burning Suns".

- Fog could reduce visibility, making terrain defense values go up a bit.
- Rain would make the ground slippery or something, lowering defense by the

same amount
- Light rain could do something to morale, so negating leadership bonuses
sounds really cool to me, but I can understand that it would be really
unbalanced as some factions just don't depend on the ability. Refreshing a

few hp to poisoned units (for this turn) could maybe balance this out (?) I
have this impression that factions that use one usually don't use the other.
- Snow... 1 damage (cold) to everybody?
- something hot to balance this out. A Heat Wave dealing 1 hp (fire), maybe?

Anyway, all this stuff could pop in, randomly but not too often, so the
players would still get most of their rounds in normal conditions. Maybe
some of the effects could be a bit time-dependent, too, like a heat wave

being more probable in the day or snow in the night.

haha... one more, one more!!!

- Armageddon, dealing 256 damage (magical) to everyone :) (maybe the level
should start to sink, too :-D)

Ok, that's my two cents and I hope this inspires somebody or whatever :)