wp-mirror-list

[Wp-mirror-list] en.wikipedia image sizes and templates

From: Jason Cooper
Subject: [Wp-mirror-list] en.wikipedia image sizes and templates
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 13:40:48 -0500

Kent,

I just casually glanced around my brand new mirror of en.wikipedia.org,
and it's awesome!  The sheer amount of information stored locally
boggles the mind.

There are a couple of things I've noticed that I'd like to look into.

The first is math equations.  They didn't display at first, so I read
the docs and added the three extra config options to
/etc/mediawiki/LocalSettings_wpmirror.php:

$wgMathPath = "{$wgUploadPath}/math";
$wgMathDirectory = "{$wgUploadDirectory}/math";
$wgTmpDirectory = "{$wgUploadDirectory}/tmp";

Perhaps this should be enabled by default?

Second, I get a whole bunch of 'Template:???' on every page.  Where
'???' can be any of 'Main', 'NowRap', 'Portal', etc.  Did I miss
something?

Last, I'd like to look into storing the images as well.  But I don't
have 3.5T laying around. :(  If you haven't heard of it, there is a
similar project called Xowa [1] that is basically a Java app for
browsing a locally stored copy of wikipedia.  The interesting thing
about it is that it can fit all of en.wikipedia *and* images
(thumbnails) into less than 120GB.  It uses sqlite for a backend.

I'm wondering if we can combine the two processes somehow.  I prefer
serving a webpage on my network (wp-mirror), but I like the more concise
images size (Xowa).

Have you looked into adding a *images-compressed-only* option that would
store only the thumbnail images on disk?

thx,

Jason.

[1] http://xowa.sourceforge.net/setup_enwiki.html