wp-mirror-list

Re: [Wp-mirror-list] en.wikipedia image sizes and templates

From: wp mirror
Subject: Re: [Wp-mirror-list] en.wikipedia image sizes and templates
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 14:37:16 -0500

Dear Jason,

Thank you very much. I think your suggestion (option two) is sound. It
solves several problems at once.

1) Packaging

I will want to think carefully about package naming to avoid collision
with the LTS version currently maintained by Debian. Perhaps
`mediawiki-latest,' `mediawiki-latest-extention-scribunto,' and so on
would work well.

The actual mechanics of packaging are not too involved:  clone the GIT
repository, find the appropriate HEAD, dh_make, and so forth.  I
expect the process to be similar to packaging `mediawiki-mwxml2sql'
earlier this year. The folks at WMF are most helpful.

2) Repository

This step will be new to me.  Several tools are described by Debian
<https://wiki.debian.org/HowToSetupADebianRepository>.
My initial impression is that `reprepro' will get the job done.

3) Hosting

I will inquire to see if WMF could host the repository.

Developers.  Perhaps this should be a shell account to which
developers would be given credentials.  Of course, the account would
have to have `git,' `reprepro,' and other utilities so that the
repository could be built and maintained there.

Users.  Package users would have be able to find the repository via HTTP or FTP.

Sincerely Yours,
Kent