wxruby-dev

Re: Rer [Wxruby-dev] Building on OS X...SUCCESS!

From: Gour
Subject: Re: Rer [Wxruby-dev] Building on OS X...SUCCESS!
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 22:23:50 +0200

Kevin Smith (address@hidden) wrote:

> Aha! Your wxWindows was compiled to use unicode (wide chars).

I thought it could be a problem sicne I compiled wx for gtk2 & unicode, so I
re-installed
wx for gtk (--with-gtk), but still I get the same error.

It looks like the problem is since my locale is set to utf-8.

> It looks like we'll need to call a different constructor, passing an
> additional object that can convert UTF-8 to unicode. (Assuming we want
> to specify UTF-8 for all ruby strings that get passed into or come out
> of wxruby).

So I should give up my locale utf-8?

> So, for now, if you can get a non-unicode version of wxWindows, it
> should work fine for you. Otherwise, I think you'll have to wait a bit,
> unless you want to work on the wxruby code yourself.

I am so accustomed to use utf-8 and thereby avoid iso-latin-x hell.

That's the reason why I am so happy to be able to write utf-8 in DocBook and
convert it
to ConTeXt.

> After we get the 0.1 Alpha release out, I'll spend more time thinking
> about this to see if there is an easier way to support unicode. I do
> think it is important.

I'll also try to see if I can think about some solution - according to my
skills.

Sincerely,
Gour

--