Re: [XBoard-devel] updated webpages

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] updated webpages
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 12:11:43 +0200

At 15:55 1-8-2009 -0700, Arun Persaud wrote:
Hi

I updated the webpages[1] a bit and added a link section and two screenshots. Let me know if you have any links that I can add over there...

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/xboard/

ARUN

For the chess engines I guess we should mention at least all engines for which Debian packages are available.
From what I could find this would include (next to GNU Chess):

download home page crafty http://packages.qa.debian.org/c/crafty.html http://www.craftychess.com/ phalanx http://packages.qa.debian.org/p/phalanx.html http://phalanx.sourceforge.net/ hoichess http://packages.qa.debian.org/h/hoichess.html no longer exists polyglot + glaurung http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/glaurung.html http://www.glaurungchess.com/ polyglot + fruit http://packages.qa.debian.org/f/fruit.html http://www.fruitchess.com/ olyglot + toga2 http://packages.qa.debian.org/t/toga2.html http://www.superchessengine.com/toga_ii.htm (polyglot = http://packages.qa.debian.org/p/polyglot.html , but I guess we would have to give a link to our own version
adapted for 4.4.0, as long as that is not yet in Debian.)
fairymax ( perhaps I should make an intermediate page with download links for this, as long as it is not yet in Debian,
rather than the direct lin to the package that I gave you before. )

Perhaps we should also refer people to a general engine-overview site (e.g. http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl/ )

For Xiangqi we could give:
maxqi ( in fairymax package) http://home.hccnet.nl/h.g.muller/XQmaxqi.html
hoixiangqi                      (in hoichess package)
XQWLight                        http://home.hccnet.nl/h.g.muller/XQWLight.zip
TJxiangqi                       http://tonyjh.com/chess/tjxiangqi/
HaQiKi D                        http://home.hccnet.nl/h.g.muller/XQhaqikid.html
ucci2wb + Elephant Eye  http://sourceforge.net/projects/xqwizard/
(ucci2wb = http://home.hccnet.nl/h.g.muller/XQadapters.html )

An overview of Xiangqi possibilities with WinBoard is at http://home.hccnet.nl/h.g.muller/XQ.html

For Shogi there is:
TJshogi                 http://tonyjh.com/chess/tjshogi/
GNU Shogi ( http://www.cs.caltech.edu/~mvanier/hacking/gnushogi/gnushogi.html ) can play under XBoard with the aid
of the InBetween adapter ( http://home.online.no/~malin/sjakk/ )

As for the screenshots:

is it posible to have people get a popup with a full-size image when they click the screenshots on the home page? The pictures in the pages are demagnified (at least when I view them), which gives them a rather ragged appearance.

The following images from my website might also be nice demo material:
http://home.hccnet.nl/h.g.muller/WinBoardXQ2.png (for Xiangqi, and to demonstrate the versatility of the graphics) http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/WinBoard/petite.gif ( Some picture to demonstrate the auxiliary windows. ) http://home.hccnet.nl/h.g.muller/showgi3.gif (For orientl-style Shogi; perhaps not so important)

These latter three pictures are WinBoard, not XBoard, but I dont think there is anything against having some
WinBoard screnshots too.

Regards,
H.G.